Thursday, September 15, 2011

Open House was a success!

I really kind of dread Open House Night.  Over the previous 4 school years, I moved to a different school each year (and 3 different counties) so everyone does things differently.  It was nerve racking thinking I was not doing things the same as the team who had been in place for years.  Well, this year I am in the same place!! YEAH! I feel much better about what I am doing and about how this school and my new team do things.  I am really loving my school and the great people I work with.

Also, thanks to my new addiction to teaching blogs...I had several things to show the parents that I was really excited about.  I felt so prepared and confident about the things I had to show them how their kids were doing this year and what things we are going to be working on.  So here are the things I laid out and who the inspiration came from.  Thanks blogging buddies!

*The face is a little "This Is Me" book we make at a center during our first theme -All About Me
*The gray journal is the beginning journal we give our K kids with just plain manila paper and a line to define drawing space on top and writing space in bottom.  The teachers write a sentence the kids dictate and they trace over it to get the feel of what a good sentence looks like.
* The next is a Math Journal inspired by Mrs. Wills.  She has this on her blog.
* Next is an Interactive Writing Notebook from Ms. Patton.  Check out her Writing Interactive Notebook Pack at her TpT store.  Also, check out her blog, it is really great!
* The last one is also from Mrs. Wills.  I love how it describes the stages of writing for the parents.  I don't think most parents know what to look for in writing and how it develops.  I thought this was a great resource for them.  I also included her stages of writing scoring guides for grading K writing.  I am going to use this on every writing assignment I grade.

I think it really helped to have so much to show.  Thanks so much to all for the inspiration! I love my job and I actually loved Open House this year.

Tawnya

No comments:

Post a Comment